Use LinkedIn to get more value out of every event you attend.
Here are some tips for integrating LinkedIn into your face-to-face networking activities when attending an event:
Before the event:
- Let your LinkedIn connections know you are attending by posting a ‘status update’ on your profile.
- Post the event in your LinkedIn Groups and ask if anyone is going and would like to meet up during the event.
- Let everyone on LinkedIn see that you are attending by searching LinkedIn Events (in the ‘More’ menu) for the event and clicking on the ‘I’m attending’ button.
- See if there is anyone you’d like to meet at the event by going to the event’s LinkedIn page and having a look at who is attending. You may want to connect before the event and suggest meeting up at the event.
- If the event is not listed on LinkedIn, you can create an event page and let your connections know you are attending. Others can then go to the page you’ve created and register their attendance as well.
After the event:
- If you meet someone new at the event, send them a personalised LinkedIn invitation to join your network.
- Once you’ve connected, have a look at their connections, is there anyone there you’d like to be introduced to? Ask for an introduction via LinkedIn or by picking up the phone and calling your 1st degree contact.
- Notice what groups your new LinkedIn connection has joined – would these be good groups for you to join? Find out by going to the LinkedIn Group landing page and clicking on the ‘See group statistics’ black button.
How do you use LinkedIn to build on the face-to-face networking you do?